If you have not already heard, Lisa Larges, an openly gay woman, was FINALLY ordained approved for ordination in San Francisco in the Presbyterian Church after 20 years. Afterward, a woman, who disagrees with her ordination, received enough signatures that can delay her actual ordination another 18 months. WHY anyone puts up with this shit is beyond me, but i do admire Larges’ tenacity! i don’t know how she has persevered all these years. i think i probably would have said, ‘Fuck YOU’ and given up and left the entire process behind. Yet, maybe there is a greater purpose in the grand scheme of things, and maybe in some way G-D can use all the pain and negativity Lisa has endured to help further our cause along. Maybe i am on crack and maybe not. Time will certainly tell for sure. i am not trying to sound all hyper spiritual about this, but G-D does move in mysterious ways sometimes.i just know some things need to change as i am tiring rather quickly of all this inequality, hypocrisy, and hate cloaked in ‘But it is G-D and scripture saying this, not lil’ ol’ me!’ shit. Thank G-D for embracing people who proudly call themselves our ALLIES!
Reading about Lisa Larges and Her Scruple over at Shuck and Jive today, there were things she said in her statement of departure (scruple) regarding G-6.0106b. (i have not been Presbyterian since i was a kid, so i have no idea what G-6.0106b is except something she was supposed to adhere to in order to become ordained.) Many of her points pertain to the Prebyterian Church but there were some i found to be points that those who are against full-inclusion of Queers in Church, whether by membership, service, or ordination, or all three, NEED to hear. For if they have eyes to see and ears to hear, let them oh merciful and gracious G-D! i really think our detractors forget us queers are human too, with flesh and blood and real emotions.
Here are the points i am referring to from her scruple:
The text of G-6.0106b continues by singling out one particular derived standard from the historic confessional standards, namely, “the requirement to live either in fidelity within the covenant of marriage between a man and a woman (W-4.9001), or chastity in singleness.” By my conscience, faith and theology I cannot and will not accept the terms of this standard.
* It deliberately and intentionally denies the dignity and lived experience of same gender loving people.
* In so doing it raises one category of persons, heterosexual persons, above all others and thereby makes an idol of heterosexuality.
* Its formulation is based on a certain interpretation of Scripture to the exclusion of other interpretations, which are as sound, held by faithful Christians within our church.
* It imposes a false and impossible choice upon same gender loving persons by not recognizing faithful covenanted relationships between two persons of the same gender.
* It removes sex from the context of intimacy and covenantal relationship and denies the fullness and richness of committed loving relationships between persons of the same gender.
* It denies the full humanity of lesbian, gay bisexual and transgender persons by focusing solely and exclusively on one part of their lives.
* It puts upon the door of the church an “Unwelcome” sign for all gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons and their families.
* It props up and provides religious cover for acts of violence committed against gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons.
* It has caused schism within our church by driving out gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons who cannot fellowship within a church which regards them categorically as inferior.
* It is a scandal to the Gospel and destroys the peace, unity and purity of the church.
i think she so eloquently expresses herself and nails it on the head how our detractors and enemies view us. Things need to change and i applaud Lisa for sticking to her guns and admire her depth of fierceness she has displayed with real maturity! What do you think? What are your thoughts on her scruple?
Adele Sakler currently resides in Sacramento, California with her partner, and their cute Tibetan Spaniel named Mushu. She suffers from, and is in treatment for, Chronic Lyme Disease, a few other Tick-Borne diseases and Heavy Metal Toxicity. She considers herself at this point in her journey a Christian agnostic because she just can’t seem to sign on the dotted line and ascribe to all the man-made doctrines and long-held man-made traditions of Christendom any longer. She is ‘thomas, doubter. She is judas, betrayer. She is nicodemus, reluctant in the night. She is st. john of the cross, soul darkened by love.’ (David Henson of unorthodoxology) ‘She is lost, wicked, and depraved but redeemed by the grace and beauty of God.’ (Eugene Cho of Beauty and Depravity)